Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The results are in ...


While sitting in the man cave last night, my mind was wondering in a million different directions. I wasn't able to concentrate on the football game and the outcome it was going to have on my Fantasy Football team. Even though sole possession of first place atop our league standings was on the line I found myself uninterested for the first time ever.

Those of you who know me, understand that me not caring about Fantasy Football means one of two things are probably happening: 1) The world is coming to an end. 2) Something a million times better than winning a Fantasy Football championship is in the mix.

We'll go with No. 2, although I do have my complaints (concerns) about the direction things are going in the world. But, we'll save that foaming of the mouth for another day.

Moving on ...

Yep. There I was in the man cave, watching the game, following stat tracker on my phone and going in and out of not really caring whether or not my player racks up points. I just couldn't get into the football groove that normally surrounds the man cave and drives my wife and dog batty. Instead, my mind was racing between thoughts of boy or girl.

It seems like yesterday when Kelley called me at work and told me she was pregnant, which was the most magical phrase since hearing her say yes when I asked her to marry me. We almost immediately began thinking of names. We argued, vetoed, debated, wrote out lists of names a mile long and finally agreed to two beautiful names. And last night, while I was gazing at the TV I realized that today was the day we would know whether Baby Husband is a boy or a girl. No more saying "Baby Husband." No more rubbing Kelley's beautiful belly and saying things like "I wonder if it's flipping me off every time I tap on your belly." Today, I realized, it becomes much more real for us and that is a feeling I just can't explain, but, believe me, it was and is glorious.

It's moments like today that puts everything into perspective. Yeah, we are having a hard time selling our small house so we can get a much bigger one. Big deal. Yeah, I only got to go to Vegas once this year. Big deal. And yeah, the economy sucks. Big deal cuz I'm gonna be a daddy.

Everybody goes through ups and downs in a lifetime, sometimes more than others. For me, I can honestly say the last five years have been very difficult and traumatic. I lost my twin brother, Drew, in April, 2005 in an unexpected death that literally turned my world upside down. And even though it's been five years, it still is very hard for me to make it through an entire day and not cry because I miss him so much. Last January, my stepfather passed away. It's been very difficult for me to see my family ripped apart the way it has been.

But does this entitle me to the better things in life because I have suffered tremendous loss. Absolutely not. It has, however, given me the strength to aspire toward better things in life for myself and my family without feeling obligated or owed anything. And today is a undeniable example of how Kelley and I have decided to make our lives even better together than it already is. We are going to be parents and that helps me personally to focus on the positives of life and not struggle with survivors guilt that I have battled since Drew and Curtis passed away.

So, today was a very good day for me and Kelley. We took another step toward parenthood with all the emotions and fears that accompanies being parents.

And now, Kelley and I would like to announce to the world that Baby Husband is a boy: Elliott Andrew Husband.

Last night, I struggled to focus on Fantasy Football because all I could think about was how great it would be to have a boy or a girl. And today, I got that incredible news. It was a moment this father will never forget.

And, on a side note, you'll all be happy to know that I did in fact win my Fantasy Football game and I am now sitting atop our league standings all alone.

It truly was a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment