Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Name Game

NAMING OUR CHILD DIDN'T COME EASY.
Now that we are less than a week away from finding out if Baby Husband is a boy or a girl, we're prepared to unveil the name of our child.

But before I do, let me broadcast this simple, yet firm, message to all those who feel it necessary to cast opinions about the decision to find out the sex and to publicize the names or any other choice Kelley and I make about our child: WE DON'T GIVE A RIP WHAT YOU THINK!

Now that I've gotten rid of the naysayers out there, let's move on.

Naming a child, as I quickly found out, isn't the same as naming a pet. Of course I foolishly thought we would nail down the names once we started talking about them. However, Kelley and I found it difficult meeting on a naming common ground. Instead, the dialogue often went as followed:

"Nope."

"No freaking way."

"Are you nuts?"

"There's now way I am calling my child that."

"You want a knuckle sandwich?" (Yep, this was an actual response.)

We did the veto routine, but this customary practice lasted well beyond the allotted five vetoes each. It reminded me of Ross and Rachel of Friends and how they were on two completely wavelengths when it came to naming their child. At one point, I think we both gave up and realized we had nine months to agree on a name. At some point, I knew the name game was going to have to eventually extend beyond hair-pulling madness and venture into complete joy.

Here is a list of names that we agreed made the final cut:

BOY: 
Andrew, of course.
Christopher
Boston
Brian
William
Thomas
Vaughn
Jason
Cash
Elliott

GIRL:
Beatrice
Violet
Autumn
Daisy
Vivian
Ellen
Lily
Birdie
Willow
Charlotte

The one decision we agreed on once the naming debate began was that if we have a son his middle name would be Andrew, which is obviously the name of my late twin brother. If we have a daughter, the middle name would be named after someone from Kelley's side of the family.

It was a lot easier for me to come up with boy names. I drew inspiration from some of my closest friends, family members and favorite cities (Boston. Vegas wasn't even an option for Kelley). I also wanted to threw at least one name that I knew would stand out in a crowd, thus, I came up with Vaughn. And, of course, it was easier for Kelley to come up with girl names.

About three weeks ago we picked up the naming negotiations with a fresh perspective. I had heard a name on NPR (National Public Radio) that struck a chord with me and it was name that had not been mentioned. I researched the name, it's popularity and its origin and after awhile, it seemed to stick with me. I brought it up to Kelley one night at dinner:

"So, what do you think of Charlotte for a girl?"

Kelley's eyes lit up, she smiled and quickly replied "I love it."

So, there you have it. If we have a girl, her name will be Charlotte Ellen Husband.

I thought I had convinced Kelley for Vaughn Andrew Husband if we have a son. I was pretty stern on Vaughn ... until Kelley, my mother and my sisters teamed up on me on night. I was about to throw in the white towel and start this process all over again until a name came to my head out of the blue that neither of us had yet mentioned: Elliott.

Bam! Nailed it!

Elliott Andrew Husband.

We loved it immediately and kept saying it aloud to one another. It was perfect for both of us.

Eventually, we did find that joyous common ground that seemed like an impossible destination. Once we did, we were both elated knowing we now have the names of our son or daughter.

Charlotte Ellen Husband or Elliott Andrew Husband. You don't know it, but you've already made your parents so very proud.

Oh, and by the way, don't listen to your mother. I was the one that came up with both names!

No comments:

Post a Comment