Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Getting $$ in order

I'm no longer a cash-spending habitual offender. And we can all thank Baby Husband for this.

CASH LOCKDOWN.
I have always loved to spend money. No lying. No fabricating the truth. It's been a downfall of mine for a long time and has gotten me into trouble a time or two in the past. Like the time I spent my rent money in Cleveland (1999) for fifth row seats to a Dave Matthews Band concert. Or the time I decided buy a second flatscreen TV and  telling my wife after the fact. That one didn't go over so well, but at least we have high def in the bedroom.

Since July, something in me changed. I no longer have the impulses to have this, have that or spend time online scrolling for another sports jersey to add to my already insane collection. My wife has finally found a way to curb my annoying spending habits. Having a baby on the way was the trick.

So many of my friends with children have told me and Kelley since July that having a baby changes everything. For us, the change began when I all of-sudden became a money-saving, no spending fool. Totally blew my wife's mind. Although I almost fell off the wagon this past weekend when I wanted to buy a Randy Moss Minnesota Vikings jersey that was half off in price because apparently Moss is now the Antichrist of the NFL. However, my wife reminded me of my new-found love of not spending money ... Damn! 

So, for the next 18-plus years, it's apparently all about Baby Husband while my wants and needs have slowly faded into the backseat, or better yet, fell off the face of the earth. No more vintage Boston Celtic and Red Sox jerseys. No more walking into a brew pub and walking out with the glass with the cool logo and no more speakers, TVs or any other device to improve my makeshift theater system in the man cave. Instead, we have made a deal with each other to rid ourselves of what little bit of debt we have. We wanted to be able to wipe the slate clean of all outgoing monies now so we can inherit more important debt thanks to Baby Husband. 

In one of the numerous books we are reading now, getting your finances in order is one of the first suggestions when getting ready to have a child. Having a clean slate, and peace of mind, when the baby arrives will allow us to do more for the baby and pay off what I can only assume will be a small mountain of medical bills.

So as of this blog, I'm proud to say Kelley and I are now pretty much debt free. It wasn't easy, but we were able to wipe that slate clean a hell of a lot earlier than expected and now can breath a huge sigh of relief knowing we can save even more money for not only Baby Husband but the new house we've been talking about, just not another jersey, shot glass, TV or anything ever again from Best Buy.

Yeah, right!

No comments:

Post a Comment